WELCOME

WELCOME!

So . . ., you've finally found the perfect place, lots of storage, nice size rooms, all the extra amenities. But, then you're told "no painting and no making holes in the walls"! You feel all your decorating plans going out the window. What can you do to make the space your own.

Well don't despair. There are many ways to get around the restrictions and limitations and I am here to share the ways I've overcome them over the past 18yrs.

I hope you enjoy my tips and will also share your own. I'll also be sharing some of my on going projects. Once again . . .
WELCOME!!!

Barbe aka Bee

March 22, 2012

Creating an Apt DIY Workspace!

Good Morning!
Well we've had some sunny days, but I had a bad sinus infection. Finally got over infection and now its raining again. *_* I was a little bummed when my new mattresses didn't fit my bed I had just made over!  : (   You can read about it here.   So I thought I'd address one of the challenges you may have doing diy when renting!  This might not be a problem if you are in a house or duplex with outside space or maybe not even if you are in an apt with a garage.   But if you are like me, you don't have either.  So then you may have to be a bit more creative in coming up with a work area to use your power tools or spray painting/priming. :  )

The most important thing is preparation.   Here is a diy space I created to be able to spray prime and paint some projects!  I put plastic up over the fence to prevent any over spray from getting on the neighbors cars.  Very important for good relationships with your neighbors and shows management you are considerate and discerning!
As you can see below, I also put down cardboard on the ground so there wouldn't be any sign that I had even been out there when I finished.  The manager even mentioned that point and complimented me on it.

When I finished I made sure I put it all away and that there was nothing left to show I had even been out there.  When I was only rolling and brushing paint and primer I created a space in my parking space, as seen below. I used two folding chairs and covered them with plastic and an old sheet!  I placed the furniture pieces over the chairs so I didn't have to keep bending over to pain the leg bottoms.  
 
I also place the pieces up against the fence to dry and made sure I kept the walk way unblocked.  The manager commented on how he appreciated me doing that so he didn't have to deal with complaints from other tenants.
When it rains I had to come up with another solution.  I live in a one bedroom so I don't even have an extra bedroom space to work in when the weather is bad.  So when I decided to replace my mattresses as part of my bedroom makeover, I used an air mattress and slept in the livingroom.  Thus I was able to take advantage of the space to set up a painting area in the bedroom when it rained.  I got quite a bit done including finishing this small piece.
This little table is sitting on top of the coffee table which is covered with plastic and the old sheet.  Kept my carpet safe and I was able to sit and paint the details and reach the legs with ease.  I left the window cracked open for ventilation and close the door to the room at night.  Later I waxed the pieces in the same space before my mattresses arrived.  FYI, I found out the hard way not to use the Johnson Wax inside.  Even with ventilation that stuff just smells too strong for too long. *peeeeew*   I won't be able to use the room again now that the bad is back in there, but with warmer weather coming it won't be a problem. -_^ 

Well we have showers for the next couple of days, but as soon as the sunny days return I'm going to tackle this cabinet.  I just removed the louver slats today and will either add glass or chicken wire!  Which do you think would be better.  The color will be a buttery cream color with black hardware.  I'll add more pics in another post.
What have you done to get around limited space for your diy projects.  Hope you have a great day. :  )  Thanks for stopping by again.
~Barbe~

7 comments:

  1. Barbe, you are on the roll. I like how you don't give up and your determination to look for ways to get the job done! Great creativity. I can't wait to see your cabinet makeover - make sure you provide a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry! : ) I do get frustrated but my need to be creative keeps pushing to come up with a solution. Having all you creative bloggers helps to inspire me. Thanks for stopping by. : )

      Delete
  2. I see you love roosters too...aren't they cool! Love your makeovers, and waiting to see your cab makeover. Very nice and creative work! Thanks for sharing. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loretta, yes, I've been known as Roostergrl for many years! lol I started collecting about 15yrs ago. I actually sold a lot of them 3yrs ago as I was moving to a much smaller apt. Sometimes I regret that decision but then I remember I can start looking for more; part of the fun of collecting. : ) Thanks for stopping for a visit! : )

      Delete
  3. Hi Barbe!
    I LOVE the idea of painting the table on your coffee table - much easier painting something that's higher up! And that little table turned out so cute. :)
    Revi - following you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Revi, yeah being able to raise that table off the floor definitely helped my back! lol Thanks for becoming a new follower. Looking forward to sharing tips and projects. : )

      Delete
  4. Hello Laura, and thank you for becoming a new follower. I'll be over to check out your blog, also. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I so enjoy hearing from you!

It's Overflowing Sunday

It's Overflowing Sunday
Great diy!

Sew Crafty Tuesday

The Sewing Loft

TheSewingLoftBlog.com

One Good Thing

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles

Photobucket