Well we've had some sunny days, but I had a bad sinus infection. Finally got over infection and now its raining again. *_* I was a little bummed when my new mattresses didn't fit my bed I had just made over! : ( You can read about it here. So I thought I'd address one of the challenges you may have doing diy when renting! This might not be a problem if you are in a house or duplex with outside space or maybe not even if you are in an apt with a garage. But if you are like me, you don't have either. So then you may have to be a bit more creative in coming up with a work area to use your power tools or spray painting/priming. : )
The most important thing is preparation. Here is a diy space I created to be able to spray prime and paint some projects! I put plastic up over the fence to prevent any over spray from getting on the neighbors cars. Very important for good relationships with your neighbors and shows management you are considerate and discerning!
As you can see below, I also put down cardboard on the ground so there wouldn't be any sign that I had even been out there when I finished. The manager even mentioned that point and complimented me on it.
When I finished I made sure I put it all away and that there was nothing left to show I had even been out there. When I was only rolling and brushing paint and primer I created a space in my parking space, as seen below. I used two folding chairs and covered them with plastic and an old sheet! I placed the furniture pieces over the chairs so I didn't have to keep bending over to pain the leg bottoms.
I also place the pieces up against the fence to dry and made sure I kept the walk way unblocked. The manager commented on how he appreciated me doing that so he didn't have to deal with complaints from other tenants.
When it rains I had to come up with another solution. I live in a one bedroom so I don't even have an extra bedroom space to work in when the weather is bad. So when I decided to replace my mattresses as part of my bedroom makeover, I used an air mattress and slept in the livingroom. Thus I was able to take advantage of the space to set up a painting area in the bedroom when it rained. I got quite a bit done including finishing this small piece.
This little table is sitting on top of the coffee table which is covered with plastic and the old sheet. Kept my carpet safe and I was able to sit and paint the details and reach the legs with ease. I left the window cracked open for ventilation and close the door to the room at night. Later I waxed the pieces in the same space before my mattresses arrived. FYI, I found out the hard way not to use the Johnson Wax inside. Even with ventilation that stuff just smells too strong for too long. *peeeeew* I won't be able to use the room again now that the bad is back in there, but with warmer weather coming it won't be a problem. -_^
Well we have showers for the next couple of days, but as soon as the sunny days return I'm going to tackle this cabinet. I just removed the louver slats today and will either add glass or chicken wire! Which do you think would be better. The color will be a buttery cream color with black hardware. I'll add more pics in another post.
What have you done to get around limited space for your diy projects. Hope you have a great day. : ) Thanks for stopping by again.