WELCOME

WELCOME!

So . . ., you've finally found the perfect place, lots of storage, nice size rooms, all the extra amenities. But, then you're told "no painting and no making holes in the walls"! You feel all your decorating plans going out the window. What can you do to make the space your own.

Well don't despair. There are many ways to get around the restrictions and limitations and I am here to share the ways I've overcome them over the past 18yrs.

I hope you enjoy my tips and will also share your own. I'll also be sharing some of my on going projects. Once again . . .
WELCOME!!!

Barbe aka Bee

February 23, 2012

Are You Living in the Meantime or Making it Homey?

 You may be surprised how many times I've been told, "Why are you doing all that extra work on someone elses property?  Its not like you own the place; what if they decide to sell?"  My answer is always, "Because I refuse to live in a temporary state as if in a nice hotel room; nice but none of my personality!"  I believe the personal touches are what make it homey and gives it your personality!  Funny how those same people are the ones who walk in my home and say, "Your home is so 'homey' and comfortable."  LOL!!!  Well, in my daily blog hopping I have found many of you who feel as I do; renters and homeowners.  This week I'm featuring one of them.
I'm am so happy to introduce to you a couple of decorating divas, identical twins, Milla and Kahli,  from  Design Par Deux!  First of all, I'd like you to know that they are renters!  But their home doesn't look temporary in the least.  With there many talents, creativity, and tenacity, they tackle their projects in an inspiring way.  At only 25yrs young, these ladies don't let challenges daunt their efforts and move forward with a great sense of humor and a lovely cat, Breeze, to keep them motivated! LOL!  I love how they show details and tutorials with their projects.  Their taste, I think would be considered a bit shabby chic, contemporary, with a vintage flair!  One of my favorites is these curtains that they stenciled!  Yes, you heard me . . . they stenciled these curtains themselves.


 You can see the entire project here.

Another favorite is this beautiful chair they reupholstered.
You won't believe it was once a bright pink !!!  Check it out here!


The two ladies, are a true example of, "making it homey" and not just "living in the meantime"!  As a matter of fact, I didn't realize they were renters until they mentioned how they weren't allowed to change out a ceiling fan, in their dining room.
Here are a couple of other projects they tackled; I won't spoil the surprise for you.

Wait to you see what they did with this chair below.  Take a look



 And what they did to these two pieces is just awesome.  The complete project can be seen here.


What about you?  Have you been hesitating to add your own personal touch to your space?  Look within for your decorating diva and let your imagination soar!  Check your rental agreement and see if you're allowed to paint.  If you intend to stay where you are for more than a year, its definitely worth the effort of having to repaint afterwards.  What about changing the curtains and light fixtures?  Try talking with the management. If you live in an apt complex, it's been my experience that their main objection is usually keeping a consistent look from the outside.  Ask if you can add your own drapes if they have a neutral liner so no color shows from outside.  When I've lived in a small cottage, house, and a duplex, I found the owner was fine with me even updating the the lighting and faucets if I agreed to leave it when I moved.  As I knew I was planning on moving for quite a few years I didn't mind.  Plus since finding great deals is my favorite hobby, I usually found them very inexpensively at yard sales, thrift stores, as well as, Home Depot!  So don't hold back!  Take hold of the moment you live in and 'Make It Homey'!  Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you'll go visit the twins and see their new project of reupholstering 2 wing back chairs in a bold chevron pattern!!!
Hugs and Inspiration,
Barbe aka Bee

Please pick up your featured button below:
Beez Rental Designs

4 comments:

  1. "Because I refuse to live in a temporary state as if in a nice hotel room; nice but none of my personality!" I love what you said! So true. Btw, thanks for the visit and your thoughtful commnent. Happily following you now and hope to see you tomorrow in my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by. That is what it seems like to me if you're afraid or don't see the need to make it your home, a nice hotel.
    I'm on my way to your Creative Bloggers Party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! I wish I had more time to decorate my home! First we had limited funds, now we are doing an addition that has lasted a year. Someday I'll I'll have time to make it homey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brooke, thanks so much for taking the time to stop by! I totally understand the limited funds, one thing I try to address in my blog is decor on a budget! I feel for you with all the work that goes into and addition. My bro and sil started with adding on a master suite that grew into adding an extra bedroom, remodeling an existing bedroom, and putting on an entire new roof. It took them 2yrs to complete! But it was so lovely in the end and she had so much fun adding the decor to each room. I'm sure yours will be just as wonderful when your addition is complete! : )

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I so enjoy hearing from you!

It's Overflowing Sunday

It's Overflowing Sunday
Great diy!

Sew Crafty Tuesday

The Sewing Loft

TheSewingLoftBlog.com

One Good Thing

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles

Photobucket