WELCOME

WELCOME!

So . . ., you've finally found the perfect place, lots of storage, nice size rooms, all the extra amenities. But, then you're told "no painting and no making holes in the walls"! You feel all your decorating plans going out the window. What can you do to make the space your own.

Well don't despair. There are many ways to get around the restrictions and limitations and I am here to share the ways I've overcome them over the past 18yrs.

I hope you enjoy my tips and will also share your own. I'll also be sharing some of my on going projects. Once again . . .
WELCOME!!!

Barbe aka Bee

January 25, 2012

Bit of Victorian Bathroom

Just starting the makeover


Hello, its been a long day but my creative thoughts are flowing full steam ahead! : )  Just wish my body could keep up with it. lol

My most current project I'm tackling is my bathroom.  I've bought just about everything I want except for my decorative towels and new lighting fixtures, I'm thinking a pendant light over the sink and maybe a small chandelier over near the tub area.  My biggest problem is, I have a cabinet in their I want to make over but not sure about what to do with it.  I left it in its original color as it matched the ugly hollow door that I'm not allowed to paint! In the beginning I had it hanging next to the door so you really didn't see it when you came in.  But it was kind of awkward getting things out of it because of the way the three doors on it open and close.  So I moved it above the toilet.



  Although my vanity cabinet looks very large, the top 3 drawers have no depth thus don't hold much.  I use the bottom drawer near the entrance to keep clean towels as I don't have an actual linen closet.  The bottom drawer next to the toilet holds extra toilet paper.  So I need the storage of the tri-door cabinet.


 But now that I've found the mirror, I don't like the cabinet there.  Plus it has a chipped spot where my brother dropped it when I bought it from a yard sale.  I thought of adding molding and painting it, but not sure what color to go with.  Though the walls look white in these pictures, they're actually more of a milky mocha color to match the flooring.  I think if it was as dark as the mirror on the same wall, it might be too much.  As you can see it hangs over the toilet so the contrast is very noticeable.  I may need to move it to another wall.  If so, I'm kind of thinking of putting another towel rack over the toilet or maybe move the larger picture from the opposite wall over there.  I have a small wooden shelf to go under the picture.  What do you think?   I would love your feedback and ideas.


There was some old water damage on the ceiling over the tub that needed repairing so the room had to be painted anyway, and I convinced the manager to paint it a soft mocha color instead of white again so that it would match the vinyl flooring.  To my delight, he agreed.  So I stripped the walls of my prior decor, towel racks, and the builders 1968 mirror that's been here since the place was built; you can see it sitting in the background on the hallway floor.

When I came back from vacation the walls were the nice mocha color plus the paint smell was all gone.  So then I started shopping to build the look I wanted.  I already had my color scheme as I had found the shower curtain at WalMart on sale for half price.  I was trying to go a little contemporary in style with it as I knew I couldn't change some elements in the bathroom such as, color of vanity, vinyl flooring, or the ugly door.  Next I went rug shopping and after 3 stores, settled on some nice runners(will show those in finished project).  Not the traditional bath rug, but they do have the rubber backing on them.  Plus the floor area is really long and the larger bath rugs were so expensive.  I got both runners for the price of one of the larger bath rugs. : )  Still some things I want to change, like lowering gold shelf so it's not highlighting the electrical socket and hanging a towel ring my grandsons can reach to dry their hands, also looking for new lighting, but I'm almost finished.  You can see some before and after photos of my progress here.  I look forward to hearing your input.
Barbe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I so enjoy hearing from you!

It's Overflowing Sunday

It's Overflowing Sunday
Great diy!

Sew Crafty Tuesday

The Sewing Loft

TheSewingLoftBlog.com

One Good Thing

Lu Lu's Fluffy Ruffles

Photobucket